In using up the contents of my all local bin from Pure Sprouts last week, I decided to make a leek and shiitake pizza on a whole wheat crust. The crust was earthy, complimenting the mushrooms, and a roasted garlic cream sauce (which would be excellent on pasta, too!) balanced nicely with the slight bite of the leeks. Making your own crust is always a plus, but you could also start this pizza off with a premade crust (Apple Ridge Farm sells some!). To save even more time, roast a bunch of garlic ahead of time, then squeeze the cloves out of the papery skin and freeze them for easy access to slow-cooked flavor. I’ll post the ingredients and directions for the crust, sauce and entire pie separately so you can pick and choose as you like!
Leek & Shiitake Pizza
Pizza Crust Ingredients:
- 1 T. sugar
- 1.5 c. warm water
- 1 (.25 oz) pkg dry yeast
- 3 T. olive oil
- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1.75 c. white flour
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- Whisk 1 1/3 c. warm water with sugar in bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top and set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add olive oil and stir.
- Place flour and salt in large mixer bowl fitted with dough hook.
- Add yeast mixture and mix until dough is smooth and elastic. (You can also knead the mixture by hand for about 5 minutes.)
- Divide dough in half and form into balls.
- Place each half in a greased bowl, then flip dough over so all sides are greased. Cover with dish towels and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Roll out each crust or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. (I prebake the second crust without toppings and freeze it for a really fast dinner another night!)
Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- 5 T. olive oil
- 4 T. flour
- 1.5 c. milk (Keepsake Farm)
- 1 head garlic (Apple Ridge Farm)
- pinch each of rosemary, thyme and sage (my garden)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. (If using the sauce right away on pizza, place pizza stone in oven while cold)
- Slice off top 1/4″ of garlic head, exposing cloves, and drizzle it with 1 T. of the olive oil.
- Wrap tightly in foil and bake for 35 minutes, or until garlic is soft.
- When garlic is done, heat remaining olive oil in saucepan.
- Squeeze garlic cloves from skin into saucepan, mashing garlic with spoon into olive oil.
- Add flour and stir until paste-like.
- Whisk in milk and add herbs, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes, or until thickened.
- 1 leek (Pure Sprouts)
- 6 shiitake mushrooms (Mother Earth mushrooms via Pure Sprouts)
- 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese (Groffdale Meadows Dairy)
- black pepper to taste
- 1 pizza crust
- 1 c. roasted garlic cream sauce
- Preheat oven to 425°. (If using pizza stone, put it in cold oven and allow to preheat)
- Roll out pizza dough to 14″ round and place on cornmeal coated pizza peel or baking sheet.
- Spread sauce over pizza crust.
- Slice white part of leek and shitakes, then sprinkle them over sauce.
- Grate cheese over vegetables and sprinkle with pepper.
- If using pizza stone, slide pizza from peel onto stone, or place baking sheet into oven and bake pizza for 13-18 minutes, or until crust is done to your liking.
- Serve hot with any leftover cream sauce for crust dipping!