This recipe was born from one of those moments when I realized I had several ingredients I should really use up. Stuck in the house because of the weather last week, I was doing lots of cooking. I had a ton of beets and had purchased some apricot-jalepeño chicken sausage that looked delicious, but I had no clue what to do with it. I also had just come from Keepsake Farm, where I had purchased some garlic-herb jack and some of the freshest milk imaginable (bottled while I waited!). So, I decided to wing it, and the results were not only marvelously colorful, but tasty, too!
You could really fill this crust with anything, so use what you have on hand and get creative!
Potato & Beet Crust Pie
• 4 med-small potatoes (these are purple ones from Apple Ridge Farm)
• 2 beets (Heritage Farms CSA)
• 1 T. olive oil
• salt & pepper to taste
• 1 onion (Heritage Farms CSA)
• 1-2 cloves garlic (Heritage Farms CSA)
• 3 T. butter
• couple of tablespoons flour
• 1/8 c. milk (Keepsake Farm)
• 1 link sausage, approx 1/2 lb., cooked (this is Saylors & Co apricot-jalepeño chicken sausage)
• cheese, 1/4 c. shredded or equivalent (this is garlic herb jack from Keepsake Farm)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Thinly slice potatoes and beets, using a mandolin if you have one.
- Arrange the potato and beet slices around a 9″ pie plate and brush with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 10 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice onion and garlic.
- Sauté in butter, careful not to burn garlic, until onions are soft. Cook and slice sausage.
- Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle flour into skillet with onion and garlic, stirring constantly, until paste-like consistency with butter.
- Add milk, stirring constantly, and simmer until thickened.
- Spread creamy onion mixture over potato-beet crust.
- Top with sausage slices and cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cheese is golden.