Each Wednesday a group of my friends and I get together for a night of testosterone-free hanging out. Sometimes we head to Roosevelts (if they are not having an obnoxious DJ) for gravy cheese fries & $4 mixed drinks and sometimes we gather at someone’s home for a BYO night. Either way, it’s sure to be a night of laughter, booze and good food.
A couple of weeks ago, girls’ night was going to be at a friend’s home, and I realized I didn’t have anything to bring! A quick survey of the kitchen didn’t turn up any prepared snack food, and I was out of alcohol. All I had were vegetables! I was pretty well stocked on eggplant, so I thought of making baba ganoush, but I didn’t have any tahini on hand. So, I pulled out what I could find and figured if my friends didn’t like it, we just wouldn’t eat it. Well, all of it was gone by the end of the evening, so I take that as a good sign. Bring this Italian dip with you next time you need an easy snack and you’ll be all set!
Italian Roasted Veggie Dip
[My husband was kind enough to roast the veggies for me while I was running errands, so I don’t have a picture of everything raw.]
- 1 large eggplant (Heritage Farms CSA)
- 1 large onion (Jett’s Natural Produce)
- 1 large tomato (Heritage Farms CSA)
- 2 cloves garlic (Heritage Farms CSA)
- 12-15 fresh basil leaves (our garden)
- 4 sprigs oregano (our garden)
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 T. lemon juice (I didn’t have any, so my dip darkened a bit, but was still tasty)
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and sprinkle with salt. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Cut onion into thick slices.
- Cut tomato in half.
- Place veggies cut side down on cookie sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes, or until eggplant is soft. Let cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, chop garlic in food processor.
- Add basil and oregano to food processor, pulse until finely chopped.
- Scrape pulp out of eggplant skins and add to food processor.
- Add tomato and onion to food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Slowly add olive oil while processor is running until dip is desired consistency.
- Let sit at least 1 hour before serving with crackers, toasts or pita chips.