Ah, Superbowl Sunday. A day for gnoshing on snacks and watching a game which I have no interest in so that the designer/marketer in me might catch a glimpse of a great advertisement. This was the first year my Superbowl commercial-watching buddy, Sarah, was not in town, nor did we have a party for the game. We don’t have cable anymore, so we hooked up the laptop to the TV and prepared a local, healthy (albeit cheese-laden) spread to munch on while we watched for great commercials. Boy, were we dismayed to see that the online streaming version of the Superbowl doesn’t include the great commercials! Instead, the same three ads rotated through, and none of them were anything great. Afterwards, we found a page of all the ad videos, and were even more dismayed to see that none of the ads were even that spectacular there! Ah well, at least we had great munchies. The mushrooms are especially to-die-for. Make them and see for yourself!
Feta & Basil Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 button mushrooms (Pure Sprouts)
- 2 oz. feta cheese (Keepsake Farm)
- 2 cloves garlic (Pure Sprouts and Apple Ridge Farm)
- 8 T. fresh basil leaves (we froze some from our garden in ice cube trays this summer)
- 1/4 c. breadcrumbs (from the heels of a seeded sourdough loaf from Apple Ridge Farm)
- 1 T. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Crumble feta into small bowl.
- Mince garlic and chop basil, then add to feta in bowl and combine with fork.
- Add olive oil and bread crumbs and mix well.
- Clean and de-stem mushrooms.
- Place a small spoonful of filling mixture in each mushroom cap.
- Place stuffed mushrooms on greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
Rutabaga Fries with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
(Dipping Sauce Recipe Follows)
Rutabaga Fry Ingredients:
- 2 rutabagas (Pure Sprouts)
- drizzle olive oil
- palmful herb salt, or any seasoning blend of your choice (we used our own Marsh Salt)
- 2 T. flour
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Peel rutabagas and cut into french-fry size sticks, then place in bowl.
- Drizzle rutabaga sticks with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and flour.
- Toss to coat evenly.
- Spread evenly on parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Bake 25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Bleu Cheese Dip Ingredients:
- Melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Sprinkle flour over melted butter and stir until paste-like.
- Pour in milk.
- Crumble bleu cheese into pan and whisk until smooth.
- Reduce heat to low and continue stirring until thickened.
- Serve with fries or wings.
Sesame Carrot Lettuce Wraps
- 2 small leaves romaine lettuce (Jett’s Produce)
- 3 medium carrots (Pure Sprouts)
- 1 T. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- Julienne carrots.
- Toss carrots with soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds and let sit at least 15 minutes.
- Trim off the thick stem end of the lettuce leaf.
- Spoon carrots down center of leaf.
- Wrap lettuce around carrots like a taco.
Quesadillas with Homemade Salsa
Homemade Salsa Ingredients:
- 3 tomatoes (Heritage Farms CSA—I blanched, peeled and froze them this summer)
- 1/2 small onion (Jett’s Produce)
- 1 clove garlic (Apple Ridge Farm)
- 1 jalepeño (Heritage Farms CSA—I blanched and froze them this summer)
- Place garlic in food processor and pulse till finely chopped.
- Add onion and jalepeño and pulse until chopped.
- Add tomato and pulse until chopped.
- Serve with hot quesadillas.