Last weekend, we were taking a break from our usual Jumbars breakfasts to let them deal with the restaurant week crowds, and my husband asked for sausage gravy and biscuits (a favorite of his from when he lived in NC). Unfortunately, breakfast sausage is not a staple in our home (we really only eat breakfast on Sundays), so I told him he was out of luck. Well, dedicated as Kevin is when he knows what he wants, he found this recipe and asked me to make it. Of course, I can’t just follow a recipe, so I added some mushrooms and garlic and some different herbs, and the result was amazing! The mushrooms gave the sausage a nice meaty texture, and the seasonings totally allowed it to taste like sausage. I don’t know that I’ll ever make sausage gravy using sausage again!
Sausage-less Gravy for Biscuits
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. flour
- 1 clove garlic (Apple Ridge Farm)
- 4 mushrooms (Pure Sprouts)
- 1/2 T. dried sage (my garden)
- 1/2 T. dried rosemary (my garden)
- 1/2 T. dried thyme (my garden)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1.5 c. milk (Keepsake Farm)
- 2 biscuits, english muffins or toast
- Dice mushrooms and mince garlic.
- Melt butter in deep skillet or saucepan.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to pan. Cook and stir until mushrooms are slightly browned.
- Add sage, rosemary and thyme, plus salt & pepper, cooking for a minute until just fragrant.
- Sprinkle flour over butter and mushroom mixture and whisk until it reaches a paste-like consistency.
- Add milk all at once and whisk constantly until mixture is thickened and creamy.
- Serve over split biscuits, english muffins or toast