Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables. It is flavorful, rich and versatile, providing an excellent base for all sorts of main dishes. The large purplish black veggie isn’t available in winter, though, so I had been missing it. So, when I found a container of grilled eggplant buried in our freezer from the summer, I was sooo excited to use it! A taste of summer in these dreary months was a welcome treat. Combined with some crusty bread, creamy ricotta, earthy mushrooms and zesty microgreens, these paninis are a great way to enjoy a variety of flavors and textures.
Ricotta, Eggplant & Mushroom Paninis
No ingredient amounts here! It’s a sandwich, you can figure out what proportions you’d like!
- crusty wheat bread (14 Acre Farm)
- olive oil (we used Tuscan Herb from Seasons)
- ricotta cheese (Keepsake Farm)
- grilled, sliced eggplant (Heritage Farms CSA)
- cremini mushrooms (Pure Sprouts, Mother Earth Mushrooms)
- microgreens (or fresh basil) (Pure Sprouts, OH Produce)
- mozzerella cheese, optional (Kevin loves his cheese, so he snuck that in!)
- Cut wheat bread into thick slices, and brush or spray outside of slices with olive oil. (I got to use our new oil mister here!)
- Spread ricotta cheese on inside of bread.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Layer eggplant and mushroom slices over ricotta.
- Top with microgreens or basil.
- Add mozzerella, if using.
- Grill sandwich on panini press for 3-4 minutes, or cook in skillet for about 3 minutes per side.
- Serve hot!