Recently, one of our favorite farms, Keepsake Farm & Dairy, received a fresh batch of beef from their butcher. We love purchasing our beef and dairy from the Place’s because we know that they have done everything they can to raise the cows properly (plus, it’s delicious!). In their new location on High St. in Nazareth, the cow’s can freely come and go between a large sheltered enclosure and a wide pasture. You can see the cheese making room from the store, and the milking parlor is just down the hall from where you can pick up a creamy gallon of raw milk or a wedge of bleu cheese. It’s always so nice to stop in at the farm store and catch up on the latest developments from John or have a cheerful conversation with his mom. The last time we were in, Keepsake was having a freezer clearing sale, so we stocked up on some cuts we normally don’t get.
Inspired by a delicious meal we had last fall in Maine while visiting my parents, we cooked up a fancy date night dinner of beef tenderloin and mushrooms in a simple red wine sauce. It’s a classic flavor combination that always tastes luxurious. We paired the meal with roasted lemon & bleu cheese potatoes and zesty spinach. This steakhouse-at-home meal is perfect for the kind of night where you bring out the candle sticks and put on an old black and white movie.
Bleu Cheese & Lemon Roasted Potatoes Ingredients:
- 1 oz. bleu cheese, crumbled
- 4 medium red potatoes
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary
Beef Tenderloin & Mushrooms Ingredients:
We were lucky enough to acquire some ramps, or wild leeks, yesterday. We didn’t have them when I made this dish, but they’d be a great replacement for the shallots and garlic!
- 2 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 8 white or cremini mushrooms
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1.5 lb beef tenderloin
- 1/2 c. red wine
- splash milk
Smokey Spicy Spinach Ingredients:
- 4-6 c. fresh spinach leaves
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp. hot paprika
Bleu Cheese & Lemon Roasted Potatoes Directions:
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Chop potatoes, skin on, into 1.5″ cubes and place in large bowl.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice and herbs. Toss so potatoes are evenly coated.
- Spread potatoes evenly in rectangular baking dish.
- Sprinkle with bleu cheese.
- Roast potatoes for 45 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Beef Tenderloin & Mushrooms Directions:
- Chop shallots and garlic.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet (I do not use a non-stick one for this, so I can scrape up the browned bits from the bottom when I deglaze the pan with wine.). Add shallots and garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice mushrooms, and add to skillet with herbs. Sauté an additional 2 minutes or until herbs are fragrant.
- Slice beef crosswise into 1/4″ thick pieces. Season with salt and pepper and add to skillet.
- Cook beef with mushrooms, shallots & garlic, stirring frequently, until evenly browned.
- Add red wine to the pan, using a spatula to scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom. Reduce heat and simmer until beef is cooked to your liking, just a couple of minutes.
- Add a splash of milk to the pan and stir until well incorporated into the wine and warmed through.
Smokey Spicy Spinach Directions:
- Wash and dry spinach leaves, using a salad spinner, if you have one.
- Place spinach leaves with a few tablespoons of water in large skillet over medium heat. Cover and let cook until spinach leaves are wilted, tossing occasionally.
- Squeeze lemon juice over spinach, then sprinkle with paprika.