Chicken isn’t something we have too often, mainly because it’s one of the more expensive things to buy from the farm (costs more than vegetables, anyway!). but it’s a meat we enjoy on occasion. Chicken legs are one of the more economical cuts to purchase, and they are so incredibly easy to prepare, especially when you toss them in a slow cooker. This recipe has a rich flavor with salty soy sauce, fresh ginger, nutty sesame oil, spicy chili powder, and sweet honey. Served with some kale sautéed in a touch of sesame oil and chili powder, this dish is a crowd pleaser!
Slow Cooked Soy-Ginger Chicken
Yes, that is grocery store purchased chicken in this picture! I think it's the only meat we've purchased from a market in over a year. We had a gift card to Trader Joe's and decided to give their product a try. I've got to say, it was odd to have meat in a Styrofoam tray with a bar code sticker ...
- 1 onion
- 6-8 chicken legs
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2″ chunk ginger
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 c. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1.5 T. sesame oil
- Peel and cut onion into 1/4″ slices. Place onion slices in bottom of slow cooker.
- Place chicken legs on top of onion slices.
Layer chicken legs on top of onion slices.
- Peel garlic cloves & crush them. Add to slow cooker.
- Peel ginger and cut into 1/8″ slivers. Add to slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chili powder and black pepper over chicken. Add bay leaf.
Flavorful ginger, garlic & bay leaf
- Whisk together soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil. Pour over chicken.
Soy Sauce Mixture
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and serve over rice with sauteed greens.
Soy Ginger Chicken with Sauteed Kale
In an effort to find yet another way to use apples from my enthusiastic picking trip (I’ve even given dozens away and STILL have apples), I decided to put them to savory use. I pulled out my trusty slow cooker, some root veggies and potatoes and a half chicken from the freezer and got to work mixing up a curry dish that made the house smell heavenly and reminded me of my dear friend Fatima who had to head back to Tanzania to help her father. If you are one of those people who fears curry because of its aroma, please, give this recipe a try—It will warm your spirit!
We saved half of the chicken meat to put on Asian inspired chicken salads the next day—I’ll post that recipe soon!
Slow Cooker Curried Chicken & Apples
- Chop potatoes, apples, leek or onion, celery and carrot into 1.5″ pieces.
- Mix chopped veggies in bottom of slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with 1 T. of curry powder and salt & pepper, then stir.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of chicken, then rub in remaining 1 T. of curry powder.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables in slow cooker and cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove chicken and vegetables from slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
Chicken & Veggies
- Whisk plain yogurt into juices in bottom of slow cooker until smooth.
- Remove chicken from bones, if desired.
- Pour sauce over chicken and vegetables to serve and top with scallions, bean sprouts and/or roasted chickpeas.
I like to add something crunchy like these beans sprouts for contrast on top of this dish. Serve with flatbread for sopping up the yummy sauce!
Can you figure out what I made for a weekend dinner based on these local ingredients? Check back for the recipe on Friday and see if you were right!
bone-in chicken, potatoes, celery, salt, pepper, carrot, leek, apples, scallions, curry, olive oil, crunchy sprouts or chickpeas, plain yogurt