One of my favorite things to make for dinner on busy days are paninis. Warm and creamy filling in between crisp, hot bread just seems a lot more fulfilling than the cold sandwich alternative when you are tight on time. I’ve learned that the soft cheese or spread, greens, protein, and harder cheese order of filling seems to work pretty well, with the spread and cheese acting as glue to hold the yumminess together. Good, crusty bread is also a must for paninis. If you don’t have good bread, stick with grilled American cheese & tomato soup (actually, even that should have good bread involved).
On these particular paninis, we paired some zesty spring arugula with creamy hummus, earthy mushrooms, bright pesto, and fresh mozzerella. It tastes like it takes a lot longer to make than it does!
Arugula, Hummus & Mozzerella Panini
Makes 2 paninis
- 2 T. pesto
- 4 T. hummus (I used roasted red pepper)
- 4 white mushrooms
- 1/4 red onion (or 1 very small red onion)
- 2 handfuls arugula
- 4 oz. mozzarella
- 4 slices wheat bread
- Thinly slice mushrooms & onion and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Spread pesto on two bread slices.
- Spread hummus on remaining two bread slices.
- Divide sautéed mushrooms & onions over hummus.
- Place handful of arugula on top of mushrooms & onions.
- Slice mozzarella and place on top of arugula.
- Top with pesto-spread slice of bread.
- Grill in preheated panini press for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted, or in skillet for 3 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with pesto roasted radishes and salad.