After you’ve scooped out the insides for your stuffed mini cabbages, don’t throw those scraps away- save them to turn into this fabulous eastern European-inspired casserole! My father was born in Poland, so it’s in my blood to love pierogies. I love making them, cooking them, eating them … I dream of someday opening a pierogi restaurant called Babushka …
Anyway, I digress. This casserole is a cinch to throw together and is a fulfilling blend of creaminess, buttery-ness and saltiness.
Kielbasa, Cabbage & Pierogi Casserole
- 18 small pierogies (like the mini Mrs. T’s size) (homemade recipe here!)
- 1 c. finely chopped red cabbage (Pure Sprouts Local Bin)
- 1 small onion (Jett’s Produce)
- 1 clove garlic (Apple Ridge Farm)
- 1/2 lb. kielbasa or smoked sausage (Keepsake Farm)
- 4 T. butter
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c. shredded swiss cheese (Pure Sprouts Local Bin)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Finely chop kielbasa and cook in a skillet until browned (if your kielbasa is fully cooked, just warm it in the skillet).
- Chop onion and add to kielbasa and drippings in skillet. Cook until just softened.
- Place six pierogies in bottom of casserole dish.
- Spoon kielbasa and onions, with drippings, evenly over pierogies.
- Sprinkle half the cabbage over the meat and onion mixture.
- Top cabbage with another 6 pierogies.
- Sprinkle remaining cabbage evenly over second layer of pierogies. Dot with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Add final 6 pierogies on top of cabbage and butter.
- Top casserole with grated swiss cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until cabbage is tender and cheese is bubbly.